Friday, November 17, 2006

Something from Christmas Past...


FINALLY! The Christmas mobile. Now, first I should apologize for these photos...they aren't the best I've ever taken...however, have you ever tried to make a mobile stop moving? It's nearly impossible! And just when I thought I finally got it to stay still for one tiny second, I realized that Santa was showing us his backside or that the ugly white back of the tiny stocking filled with presents was showing, instead of the right side. Whew! It was a process let me tell you!

This pattern, I think I mentioned, is from 1956. Reading the directions initially I thought it would be a breeze to make. "No problem! I can pump out 5 of these in varying shades and motifs before the holidays!" Well, not quite. First, women of that time must have been patient; much, much more patient than I. There was all this intricate folding and cutting and measuring and drawing to make the tiny canopy tent, which, as you might notice, is missing from the photo because it looks terrible! Needless to say taking the quick route in this particular instance, may not have been my best bet! I'm dreaming of a paper dessert plate, heavily decorated for future mobiles...

And poor Santa! As you can see he's had a bit of a stressful time already...his tiny cuff is coming unattached and his smile is looking a little strained. Doesn't he remind you of the Santa from Rudolph though? Only not so mean. I never liked that Rudolph Santa, he was such a jerk! He only liked the reindeer that could serve his purposes in some way and were "perfect", not marred with strange noses or other physical flaws.

How many days till Christmas? Perhaps if I started cutting and pasting now, I could finish one more just in time...

1 comment:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Precious ,love it!