Thursday, November 02, 2006

"Martha, Martha, Martha!"


I have a new obsession...and like most of my interests or ideas, it's something that's been around for a llllooooooonnnnggg time, only I'm just now getting into it. Somehow I always seem the miss the boat with things. It was years after Rachel Ashwell unveiled Shabby Chic that I FINALLY got into it. Well, that is an understatement. I was soon completely obsessed with it. "That's SO Shabby Chic!" "Is this Shabby Chic enough?" "This definitely Shabby Chic, don't you think?". Yes, well. My husband even knows what is and isn't Shabby Chic. We will be walking through a flea market and my husband will grab my arm whispering quietly in my ear (lest anyone else with a Shabby Chic bent is in the area) "Shabby Chic cup & saucer on the table to your right."

Anyway, Shabby Chic is still completely marvelous in my mind, but my new fascination is with Martha Stewart. I know, could I be any more behind the times?


It might be due to this book which I picked up at the library last week(and which is also on sale at Amazon and other fine booksellers). As you know, I'll always be an entrepenuer at heart. So, even though I've sworn off business books of all kinds, I thought maybe, just maybe I could gain a bit of wisdom here. It's really interesting! I re-discovered Martha Stewart Living magazine and really like it! I love her style: Sort of a modern traditional, though that sounds weird. It's clean, simple (which is the hallmark of modern) but old fashioned at the same time. Now I'm taping her show while I'm at work, adding other books of hers to my Amazon wishlist...now, I don't know that I would ever choose Martha Stewart Living over say, Country Living (I do like a little bit of fluff and "extras", especially vintage pieces that give warmth), but I am at a place where I'm beginning to understand or re-discover "Less is More".

2 comments:

deb said...

I've been wanting to get that book and I don't know why I didn't think to just pick it up at the library. I hear it's a fairly quick read. Thanks for the input.

I've always been a fan of Martha and find it funny that since you're so creative you're just now getting into her. :) Say what you may about her personally she certainly knows what she's doing business-wise.

Thanks for your comments too on my blog. It's nice to get encouraging words. :)

ChicChick said...

You are welcome! Let me know what the next big trend is craft-wise so I don't get left out the loop again, ok? :)