Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Chill in the Air...


There is a chill in the air...it raises the hair on my arms and creeps down my boots and up into my jacket. I had to scrape my car for the first time this fall just last Friday. Part of me loves it, part of me loathes it. Fall is so unreal to me...I still don't really get how the leaves turn those incredible colors. Pumpkin orange, flaming red, sunlight yellow...how does it all work?

Fall is one of my favorite seasons (spring the other). I love the crispness in the air, the smell of leaves that have turned color, the feeling of warm sun saturating already cold bones. I love snuggling in front of the fireplace and sipping hot cocoa and reading. I love hot baths and settling into the warm burrow of flannel sheets and quilts and bedding.




Halloween is nearly here and since I've been together with my husband (8 years this fall), I have a new appreciation for the spooky and magical feeling that Halloween brings. We have the front porch decorated to the hilt (literally, I can see it glowing orange 4 houses down the street when I get home from work); complete with pumpkin lights, black, flying, scary creatures whose eyes light up red, a strobe light, spider lights...the list goes on. I don't really decorate inside anymore for Halloween, except for this explosion of ribbon and vintage cards I put together today. This ancient metal piece is a pot rack but I adore it over the kitchen table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Halloween!!! The decorations and the spirit of fun in the air is delicious...not to mention the candy, hot cider, homemade donuts, and butternut squash. Yummy. Thanks for the images.

nancyasinnotnegative