Sunday, October 29, 2006

A New Old Thing...


Today was the day~We went to pick up my new-to-me piano from my oldest sister's house. She lives about 2 & 1/2 hours from us. It was quite a process! I hired a piano mover there to help us get this six-hundred pound beauty onto our truck and another mover here at home to help us get her into the house. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's a her. Isn't she lovely?

I had to get her all dusted and find a pretty scarf right away. She's a bit larger than I was thinking (somehow in my mind I have a way of making everything fit just the way I want it...but in reality it doesn't always work that way!). Luckily the spot I had picked out does work well. There are a few sticky keys which I'm worried about and she needs to be tuned, but overall not bad for about $150.00 moving costs (that even included our gas!).

I've always wanted to learn to play piano, but not badly enough to learn! My mother tried to teach me a bit when I was little...I remember the masking tape "cues" on the keys to help me remember what notes went with which letter. I decided in the 4th grade that the flute was the most beautiful instrument in the world (other than the harp which still remains, in my mind, the most romantic and beatiful looking of all the instruments). But there were no harp players in the elementary school band so I went with the flute.

It's strange how quickly I've forgotten notes and music reading. I began my first ever official piano lessons about 3 weeks ago and really am enjoying it so far. I like how I have to completely concentrate. It's absorbing and I don't have time to worry about things, or think too much. It takes all my effort to focus on what I'm doing.

I love thinking about who owned this piano before me. (Well, I mean before my sister). She got it from an older man who no longer wanted it...but it was built in the early 1900's...who played it all those years? Where has it been?

This scrolling on the front is one of the things I fell in love with first...it's so delicate and unnecessary; that's why I think I love it the most. It's just for prettiness.


2 comments:

deb said...

That scrolling really is beautiful. I have an old upright similar to that (but not as fancy) that used to be my grandmother's. It's one of my favorite things in our house.

ChicChick said...

There really is something about this piano that makes our home feel more like, well, home!