Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Pretty House on the Prairie...


You know those people who just have great taste? But not just the "Oh, it's expensive" kind of taste...in my opinion anyone with money should be able to have a nice house. I mean the people who really know how to put things together, how to place things just so, how to create a collection without it looking like a big, well, collection. People who decorate on a shoestring but who's homes look like a million bucks?

My sisters are all those kind of people. My two oldest sisters are into the shabby/vintage/cottage style of decorating and there is something about their homes that is so comforting. When I walk into either house I feel like its arms are reaching out and pulling me in for a warm hug. My third sister's house is completely Zen and when I walk into her home my shoulders relax and my breathing slows down. I love the terra cotta walls and the beautiful candles she lights.

My own house feels like it's in transition. First, I was completely into Asian inspired decorating and my own house had sort of a Zen quality to it. But then I found Shabby Chic and traded in my red pillows and water fountains for pretty doilies and neutral palletes. Now I'm...I don't know! I can't really classify what my decorating style is. Wabi Sabi, I guess.

When I was at Celeste's house this weekend, I thought about some of my favorite things there. I took some photos while dinner was being prepared...


No comments: