Friday, September 15, 2006

Can It Have Been So Long?




I can't believe it's been since August 28th that I've written! I'm so sorry kids...is anyone still out there? I knew it had been awhile, but I have been in this sort of creative funk. I know, I know. You are saying to yourself "Well, it's just a blog for pitys sake! It's not like she's painting Mona Lisa-esq works of art!" And you would be right. But I'm afraid my funk has reached new levels of, well, funkiness. I haven't spent an ounce of time, not one teeny, tiny minute in my art room. In fact, I think I should stop calling it an art room. Maybe "dropping off point for things that don't belong anywhere else spot" would be more appropriate. My new creative space is in this open area at the top of the stairs and I have to pass through it to get to my bedroom each and every night. But, I usually walk through with the lights off. I mean, I don't really want to see all the unfinished projects. Nothing is inspiring me in there these days, not even my fun little box of found elements, not the pretty bottles of paint, not even the stacks of fabrics with all their different textures and colors.

Ah well, such is the life of the creative person as my oldest sister tells me.

At least, as you can see above, I have not let my dinner table fall into complete disarray. I picked up this book about romantic living by Barbara Taylor Bradford a few weeks ago and it made something inside stir a little. I remember what that feels like! I thought to myself several times when reading chapters on treating oneself to fresh flowers, delicious chocolate and bubble baths. I can remember a time when I was very, very good to myself and my darling husband and would prepare treats like this candlelit dinner, fun surprises and decadent treats just on a whim. Just because it was fun and brought me happiness. That is a kind of creativity I think I can manage right now.

4 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Glad your back. The table looks lovely,yes the creative well. Hard torefill,but I think this little table could be the beginning.

Anonymous said...

Are your placemats at a different angle? Looks like a nice evening in the works.
Nancy D.

ChicChick said...

Yes, maybe the table is the beginning...I love those teal plates/saucers/cups. I only wish I had a full set...but that's flea market/lawnsale shopping for you! :)

ChicChick said...

Ahhh, Nancy you always notice the details! Those are actually 2 of a set of 4 napkins that I bought and now love (though hated when I first saw them). They were in one of my auction lots of vintage linens. I nearly gave them away! Thank God I came to my senses! :)