Monday, August 13, 2007

Falling in Love (at first site)...










This is a yurt. Tucked into a thicket of woods in rural Maine, it was so beautiful, rustic and unexpectedly comfortable, I felt completely happy and in love. I loved it's rounded sides and the pretty handmade chairs, the benches gathered up around the fire, the tiny, efficient kitchen area with everything hanging from its own special hook or tucked away in sliding wooden trays. I loved the forest and the smell of the trees and the canopy of leaves dancing overhead. I loved the patches of bright blue sky peeking through the more sparse areas of branches. I loved the clear dome top that allowed me to see the bright stars overhead before falling asleep. It sort of felt like an on-the-ground treehouse.

To the right, is the solar shower-also a first for me. There is something so right about bathing outdoors. I'm far from an exhibitionist-one of my sisters says I was born with clothes on(!) but this I fell in love with. The black plastic bag hanging from the pole was filled with water which was warmed by the sun. There was a nozzle and shower head coming from the bag that you could turn on or off as you needed water. My one regret is that I didn't use the shower a little earlier in the day. The water was pretty chilly by the time I got in, just before supper. Still, it was wonderful. Now I'm scheming to figure out how I can have one of my very own in the back yard...but privacy is much more of an issue on a small piece of land so I will need to do some creative thinking!


I told you the kitchen area was cute! The folks that own Frost Mountain Yurts thought of EVERY detail, many I would never have thought of myself. It was a lot of fun cooking on the propane stove, which heats a lot faster than my own electric one.


This romantic and rustic dinner for two was leisurely prepared in the late evening, just in time to need a pretty candle flickering. When I was little I was a bit obsessed with "Little House on the Prairie" and talked my mother into buying me a blue enamel set of dishes similar to these to have my meals in.












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! I am so glad your vacation was fabulous. In recent years I have thought camping in a yurt would be enjoyable - Thanks for confirming it for me. I hope you share more about it later.

Pam

Montessorihomeschooling said...

Hi, I have been reading and enjoying your blog since I discovered it a few weeks ago. I read through some of your past posts ... just wanted to say thank you for mentioning the book Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel. I couldn't ignore such a strong recommendation as you gave so borrowed the book from my library. I've only looked at a few of the families so far but am already blown away!

You have a lovely blog!

ChicChick said...

Thanks Pam-your enthusiasm is always appreciated. And yes, you would love yurting I'm sure!

Lisia, I'm SO happy you picked up the book-it's incredible!!! It really made me feel connected to all those individuals who live thousands of miles away and seem to have, on the surface, nothing in common with me. It showed me what a thin thread there really is between us and reinforced my belief that what we do here in the US affects people and animals all over the world. Thanks for your post-I hope you'll keep stopping in!
PS I'm working on a new blog specificially for all the causes I'm passionate about-I'll keep you posted on my progress so you all can check it out!