Saturday, August 11, 2007

Doesn't it Seem...



Doesn't it seem that bike riding and other outdoor activities are ten times more fun and freeing when you do them like you did them when you were a kid?

I just went on a gorgeous summer bike ride...I was surfing the internet (one of my favorite pursuits but I say it shamefaced), and thought "Wow. It's really gorgeous out! Wouldn't it be fun to take a bike ride?" and I did and it was.

Now I'm sitting back at the computer because while I was riding I kept feeling that I-need-to-write feeling. My heart is still beating fast, my brow is a little sweaty and I feel all tingly. When I was a kid biking was my one freedom, the one time I could be completely alone and I cherished that. Growing up with three older sisters, two parents and a large German Shepard in 1200 square feet of living space, you would have too.

There is something though, in feeling the wind in your hair as you careen down a hill, feeling your heart hammer in your chest as you work your way up one, and thinking that you are doing it for FUN and because you want to, not because you need to get your heart rate in a certain range or you just ate "something sinful" and now better burn it off. Exercise really and truly is a great gift we can give ourselves, but I often forget that and think of it as exercise, like a dirty word. I think it should be called something else completely-exercise brings to mind exhausting aerobic classes or toning sessions where your instructor yells at you like a gym sargent to lift your quivering leg 10 more times. But movement, in it's true form is enjoyable and loving. Dancing, yoga, walking, strolling, biking, playing outdoor games...movement has a much better connotation for me.

No comments: