Monday, July 16, 2007

A Big, Busy World...

I just finished a book that changed my life. It's Material World: A Global Family Portrait. Now, I know what you are thinking (or at least what I think when I hear that something like a simple book changes someone's life). "How can a simple book change someone's life???" Read this book and see if you don't feel different for yourself.

The concept is this: 30 families from around the world place all their possessions in front of their homes, and the photographer snaps a photo. It's an interesting concept, but what is most fascinating to me is the personal information about the family and the statistics about the family and country they live in. For instance, while reading every single entry I noticed that each family of 3-10 lived in a much smaller living space than I do. MUCH smaller in some circumstances. And I truly don't think my house is all that big! As a matter of fact, I feel embarassed to admit how many hours of my life I have spent wishing my house were "different" and "improved" and how much time I've spent worrying about how I can remodel/change/make it better.

I think what the book does most for me is puts things in perspective and helps me to see really and truly, how connected we all are on this planet. It helped me to see I had things in common with women living on the other side of the world...little things that I never would have known about. It also showed me the differences: The freedoms and luxuries that I have every single day that other women don't have. It was completely eye-opening and I hope you will check it out for yourself.

No comments: