Friday, March 23, 2007

Oh, What Fun...



I'm having such a blast in my 2-Dimensional Design class...and to think, I nearly wimped out! New things are cool but sometimes I get so scared/nervous/flightly ahead of time that I miss out. Other times I say "yes" to too much and then I feel like I miss out in a different way. It's hard to balance life sometimes, isn't it?


These are photos of a "Personal Map" that we did 2 weeks ago. Mine is on the Creative Process. We weren't supposed to use much text, and the images/symbols that we selected were supposed to mean something to us, not necessarily to anyone looking at the piece. I chose the eggs in the nest first, as my ideas tend to start with a little incubation period. Then I selected images of nature (the sun being the clock) because I need time/relaxation/quiet to reflect and really think things through. Next comes the bird, hatched and walking upright...then the birds are flying, but if you notice, one bird is still in a stationary position. This is because often an idea feels like it's nearly there, but not quite. There are moments of "uh-oh's" and "ooops's" throughout my creative process. The mostly all flying birds/butterfly goes through the final door (reality?) and into the creative magical place of color, fun and experimentation. I ripped up bits of my "pallette" (waxed paper) globbed with paint from where I dab off my brushes, game pieces, pinwheels, a girl's dress, pom-poms and anything else that caught my fancy and made me feel kid-like and fun. I love the shocking colorfulness of it.
My teacher is stupendous! She is so encouraging and inspiring and for being an incredible artist herself, is so down to earth, friendly and fun. I'm having a blast!
This week coming up is book making. I've got one small Chinese book complete (minus text/graphics) and two more that I will finish up this weekend. One is going to be based on a kids story I created about a little elfin girl named Rubanna Lee, the other???? Not sure yet...stay tuned and I'll post more later !







No comments: