Saturday, July 08, 2006

Feminine? Mes Oui!


I had a fashion "Aha" moment this week. My wardrobe has gotten pretty easy lately (i.e. comfortable and BORING). For my job I don't have to dress up much at all, jeans are allowed and people at work just don't seem to be into fashion. I have taken up this sort of fashion-less attitude and have been grabbing whatever is comfortable and clean in the morning.

But last week when I was looking through some old photos of myself (from about 9 years ago), I noticed how much more stylish I was. I had all these cute dresses and fun little tops and did a lot with accessories. Of course, at the time I was living alone and didn't have much to pay for other than my apartment and basic necessities. Now it seems like I'm always trying to stretch dollars (of my own free will) because I don't want my life to be about STUFF and cleaning/organizing/keeping track of THINGS. Plus I hate to look back and see nothing where there was once money in the bank or in my wallet, it's depressing! On the other hand it doesn't hurt to splurge now and again, does it?

I should mention that "splurge" to me means a $15 dress or a new top for under $10 but hey, it's all relative. So I bought a pretty brown dress last night and wore it today. I LOVE it! I feel so pretty and free in it. I love the feeling of the sun on my knees while I'm driving and the breeze making the skirt blow out just a little walking through the farmer's market. Besides, I find dresses and skirts much more flattering to nearly any female form than shorts.

That lead me to this altered journal/sketch book that I made today. I wanted something FUN and pretty and feminine. I had a lot of fun coloring in the black and white transfer of the vintage lady with colored pencils and then embellishing the rest of the book. Fun!

2 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

I love exploring this idea of why we stop dressing up. I so have to nudge mysel to look cute, and yet fashion is still something I adore and very much follow. I guess with our busy lives,we're all just exausted.

ChicChick said...

Yes, I totally agree about dressing up. It's something that makes me feel good all day when I take the time to do it. I find I dress more stylishly in the cooler/cold weather than the summer, mostly because I'm into COMFORT and some summer things (strapless bras included) are NOT comfortable.

I wish fancy hats had never gone out of style, they are truly chic! Thanks for stopping by!