Sunday, March 12, 2006

Rainy Days & Easter Bonnets...


Today was rainy and cold, a good day to curl up on the couch with a thick book and warm blanket. Instead of indulging herself in that pastime, my wonderful friend Pam came to help me create Easter bonnets~aren't they pretty? Ohhh, I feel more springy just looking at them!

I am planning a Victorian Tea~and will be selling the Easter bonnets there. We're raising money for Shared Hope International (www.sharedhope.org) which is an organization working to end sex trafficking worldwide. This is SUCH an important cause. There is so much pain involved; mental, physical, emotional. It's too scary and ugly for me to even comprehend. But the wonderful people at this organization, and others are working to help save the women and children who are caught in this horrible trap. So, even though it's a teeny tiny drop of water compared to a problem the size of an ocean, a tea has been planned for the first Saturday in April to raise funds for this organization. I'm asking folks to come dressed with their own fancy hats and gloves, and we'll give a pretty prize to the person wearing the most embellished hat. We're serving tea sandwiches, scones with lemon curd, ginger and sugar cookies, pots of hot tea and more lovely treats. Oh, I can't wait! It will be such fun~I'm already planning out the decor!

These hats are a head start (no pun intended) on the Easter bonnet we'll be selling at the tea, but we plan to have a table full of other pretty items like greeting cards, journals, sachets and more. I'm hoping we break the $300 mark this year...$500 would be great!

Don't you wish that the hat tradition had never fallen out of style? I LOVE wearing hats, they make me feel so grown-up. But not in an old lady sort of way, in a stylish, chic, breakfast-at-tiffany's sort of way. I often feel that I was born into the wrong generation. I'm incredibly old-fashioned in many ways, and a bit of a feminist in others...it's a strange and somewhat confusing mix. But hats, aprons and pretty hairstyles, I wish I could wear those every day!

No comments: