Monday, January 08, 2007

On Turning 30...

Well, it’s just about here. A new decade. New opportunities to do things a little differently, experiment, play, and return to myself. I’m excited about turning 30! So many people have told me (women especially) that their 30’s brought a new level of acceptance and self-love, along with more wisdom and independence.

I’ve learned a lot of important lessons in these past 29 years. Here are few of them:

~For the most part, people treat you as you allow them to. Being a victim isn’t pretty or healthy. If you want things to change-relationships to change, you must begin the work yourself.
~I’ve learned to try to listen to that still, small voice inside. It lets me know what’s right and what’s wrong, the next path to take, and when to say I’m sorry.
~I am way, way too hard on myself the majority of the time.
~I have to follow my own path. Other people may think I'm weird or crazy, but it’s essential to do what feels right to me. Let them think what they will, I'm being true to myself.
~Always remember where you came from, but don’t spend a lot of time wandering around back there. What’s done is done (old relationships, missed opportunities, mistakes). Learn from these lessons and move forward.
~Let your feelings out! Pushing down feelings and pretending they aren’t there doesn’t help anyone. Get those feelings, especially toxic ones out of your system. Don’t take them out on others, but get them out of your body. Hitting pillows or screaming in car work well!
~Find what makes YOU truly happy and add more of that to your life.
~Play isn’t just for children. Bored and stodgy people just think it is.
~Keep a dream list of things you want to do during your time here. Refer to it often and try to make as many of those dreams come true as you can.
~Help others.
~It’s impossible to be perfect. I’m focusing on being perfectly ME, imperfections and all.
~Learn to not care so much what “other people” think of you. (I’m still working on this one, it’s a biggie).
~Do things for the joy of it. Let your passion out, don’t hold it inside.
~Experience new things. Make life an adventure. When you look back on life what would you regret NOT doing? Do those things!
~No one can save you. No one can take perfect care of you. You have to give this gift to yourself.
~Challenge the negative, judging voice.
~Beauty is not frivolous, it is essential. Surround yourself with beauty and peace.
~Count your thousands of blessings whenever you can.
~Pray every day.
~I’ve learned to recognize that fear plays a major role in my life. I also have come to see that fear is what keeps me from the things I want. For a long time I thought if I kept my world “safe” by avoiding fear, it would go away. It doesn’t. It gets bigger and my world gets smaller every time I give into it. My motto for the next decade, and the rest of my life, is “Do What You Fear”.
~Love~yourself, others, nature, pets, simple pleasures, laughter, family, art, beauty, coffee, fresh baked bread, thunderstorms, starlight, a chorus of spring peepers, fresh sheets, trees, curtains blowing in the breeze, sunshine, moonbeams, snow, walks, ocean waves, flowers, words, music, books, hugs, chocolate, hot baths, freedom, memories, dreams, baking, movies, seasons, travel…and coming home.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

What an amazing list. It's really moving. Enjoy your 30s. They are so much better than the 20s. And so far, the 40s are even better still!

ChicChick said...

Thank you, Heidi. I appreciate it! :)

-Joy

PS My oldest sister agrees with you on being in her 40's, she said finally she doesn't give a darn what others think! :)

Anonymous said...

You will have a wonderful time with a list like that!!!Congrats on being so self-aware already

Pam-Pam