Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Art of Wabi-Sabi...

Wabi-Sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection, honoring the cycles of life and cherishing the passage of time.

My sister and I were talking about Wabi-Sabi this weekend during our walk to the local farmers market. It was a beautiful, perfect summer day; not too hot, but sunny, a cool breeze drifting around buildings and through tree limbs. Gorgeous. But I spent much of the time worrying and fretting: I forgot my sunscreen, I need to hurry, hurrry~must get back to go give a massage. I don't feel like giving a massage on my day off! On and on the naggy little voice goes until I barely notice the beauty of my surroundings, I'm too busy listening to that stupid little negative voice.

I need more Wabi-Sabi in my own life. I need to take time to fully and completely enjoy moments, to forget about all that is not going right in my life and focus, enjoy and really LIVE moments like our morning at the farmers market.

Today I woke up grumpy. I've been feeling grumpy more days than I'd like to lately. I'm making a pledge today to do less thinking and more enjoying. To breathe more deeply and worry less often and to take time to see beauty in every imperfection, even those things that are imperfect only because they aren't the way I want them to be.

No comments: